Key points from the our coffee morning of 9th February and other updates.
At this Coffee Morning we welcomed David and Stephen from Redbourn Library. They were able to share with us their experiences of Redbourn Library at this period in its development as a community library.
- Transition period now until Easter… From now on volunteers will be opening and closing the Library and the professional staff will be around for the middle two hours of each session. There will be a gradual complete removal of staff from mid March.
- Key Holders who open and close …
- Mondays:- John Anstice, Sarah Ryan
- Tuesdays:- Ulla Perch, Marion Oxley, Jill Maller, Anita Edmond
- Wednesdays:- Lisa Wenz
- Thursdays:- Frank Agnew
- Saturdays:- Karen Warr, Christine Anstice, Fanny Hamala
- The Rota - we now have a standard rota which will pertain every month on a fortnightly cycle unless individuals are away. If this is the case it is vital that Lynn is informed, ideally before she sends out the first draft for a month. We do not want to have to do more than two versions if possible. If, on the day, you are unexpectedly unable to attend your session, please phone directly into the Library on 01582 628680 so that your colleagues know.
- The Volunteers Pool - we need some volunteers who will offer to be in the ‘Pool’ for cover as well as doing their standard sessions. There is no obligation for this but extra help would be appreciated.
- Communication – Following suggestions at the last coffee morning we now have:
- The Day Book ( Hard green cover to left of main desk). Anita has organised this in four sections 1) Information for all; 2) Frequently Asked Questions ( put these in and the Management Group will try to answer each week) 3) Mini Projects – the Management Group will put these in with dates for completion and volunteers are invited to put their names against a project and do it; 4) Suggestions and Ideas from Volunteers. Please read this book on each session you attend.
- The Diary - as now. Please sign in every day and leave any current/everyday information for others on duty eg computers down 2pm to 3pm/ new stationery stock has arrived.
- The Monthly Newsletter - the newsletter on the website which Chrissie writes each month will also be emailed to all volunteers
- The Photo Board – this is nearly completed and Richard showed us the mock up. It will be put up next to the desk this month.
- Training on Spydus – the new manual is now in the Library and so training will begin next week for the next month. Our champions, Lisa, Karen and Jan have each given three dates when they can run sessions and Chrissie will email inviting attendees and sort out a rota, two to three people each session.
- New Volunteers – are still wanted. The village has been leafletted again and we would like some five more individuals. All volunteers were asked to spread the word.
- Events – We have recently provided one nursery school visit and will be hosting Yellowstar Nursery under 3s on 16th February, the Reception Class and Year 6 from St Helens in early March and groups from the Friday Mothers and Toddlers session. These sessions happen in the morning and volunteers who would like to get involved with this should contact Chrissie
- Fundraising – Waitrose and Book Sales – Sarah Ryan is in contact with Waitrose Harpenden regarding our being recipients of the ‘green token’ collection; we hope we will be a named group in the summer. David is continuing to manage and refresh the WCL Book Sale trolley from which money is satisfactorily trickling in.
- Consultation on Alternative Delivery Model for Libraries - ends 17th Feb 2018 decision in March. It is important that all volunteers read the leaflet and questionnaire about this and /or fill in the response on line. All alternatives have disadvantages but the status quo is not an option. www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/libraryconsultation
- Fire Station news – a letter has been received to say that planning has been granted and it is anticipated that work will start in June 2018
Key points from the our coffee morning of 8th January and other updates
Library Staff Withdrawal
- Herts Library Service will commence the withdrawal of their staff from the middle of January. For the first fortnight volunteers will open and close the Library on three sessions a week and this will extend to all sessions from February. The professional staff will still attend for the middle part of each session. This transition period will continue until mid/late March from which time the Library will be fully volunteer run.
Community Library Launch
- We will hold the formal Wheathampstead Community Library Launch on Tuesday 17th April 2018 at 4pm. Watch this space for details.
Herts Libraries Consultation
- County is now carrying out a public consultation on the ‘alternative delivery model’ for the Libraries Service. This closes on 18th February. They would like responses on line so please could all volunteers go on to the www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/libraryconsultation . It is really important that we all have our say and if you want to talk about this please speak to a member of the Management Group.
- The Spydus manual is presently being produced by the library staff. As soon as this is available (we hope early February) we will be running a series of training workshops. We have some names already but drop a note to Chrissie if you would like to attend.
- Volunteer Rota – we now have a standard rota and all volunteers have confirmed their Agreement to their normal times of duties. Inevitably there will be times you cannot do; please contact Lynn or Anita as soon as possible if this is the case.
- Now that we have a standard rota we have been able to identify key holders for each session. The key holders are Lisa, Frank, Sarah R, Marion, Fanny, Karen, John & Christine A. The five members of the Management Group are also keyholders.
- Lynn has produced a filing card set of contact addresses and emergency numbers for all volunteers. These are kept in a small box file in the office drawer.
- Keeping in touch – please use the diary to sign in and write notes as necessary to each other. Volunteers have suggested that we have a day book which can deal with FAQs, note training ideas, and also through which we can ask for volunteers to do additional tasks eg display changing; doing the garden outside. We will get this up and running for February.
- We would like a few more volunteers to be trained so that we have sufficient cover when people are away. Anita and Chrissie hope to run another Induction in early March. So if you know a suitable, keen person please let us know.
- The photo board is nearly ready and Richard has found a place for it to go up. We would like a photo and first name of each volunteer so please see Richard and he will sort this out.
- We now have a direct line telephone to the Library HQ at Welwyn Garden City. This replaces the video Library Link.
- Book and magazine jackets (plastic) – it has been decided by County that these will not be supplied
- David will be re-doing the Book Sale Display with a new theme mid January. The money continues to trickle in and is kept in a separate box in the safe.
- Sarah R has been in contact with Waitrose to see if we can be a beneficiary of their ‘green token’ fundraising at Harpenden store. (Redbourn Library is such this month). Sarah and David will now make the formal application
Questions from the Coffee Morning
- Problems with Stock Rotation (please would everyone check with Librarian that it is being done correctly and that the OK button is used after each instruction/entry);
- Request that things are left for the late shift to do (not everything needs doing by 4pm);
- Query about locking up when there are still people in Hall – we said that we should lock everything up whatever and if there are people still there then they must unlock/lock up when they go.
- Clarification - Rota Week A starts 1st January and week B 8th January….the A/B continues week on week for the full year.